Small Ducai style brush pot

Started by Stan, Apr 03, 2016, 01:21:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, here is a small brush pot, the hight is 15.7 cm, this has nice age signs, rust spots, pitting, and some glaze loss inside, it is hand drawn and painted, the underside has a six character Guangxu mark, Please let me know what you think of age, I will post six pictures, thanks.

Stan

Here is the other three photo's, thanks again for your help.

peterp

Hi Stan,
There are too many dark spots on the bottom, for Guangxu, in my view. I know that some Guangxu wares were not of very good quality in this view, but with Doucai I would expect at least the same quality as export ware. The latter hardly look that way. And, before all, the foot rim has the color that many fakes have.
I also feel that the blue color looks too flat, and too dark. It has not the depth that doucai wares usually have.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I was a little suspicious of the olive green color my self.

Stan

Hi Peter, I took these photo's using something to defuse the light, it give the pot a little more depth.

peterp

Thanks Stan.
To me the clouds look odd, and generally the whole decoration is too dense with decoration. It looks more like underglaze blue with some on-glaze colors to me. The blue looks flat as with 20th century items, and the foot rim still has an unnatural color, I'm afraid. That alone makes it suspicious. Do you see any bubbles over the blue areas?

Stan

Yes, under a loop there  are bubbles over all the blue and there is a mix of mostly small or fine bubbles to large in some areas, all the colors are on top of the glaze except the blue which is under the glaze, the inside of the pot has staining from use, it looks like where the liquid  that was used for cleaning left a slight stain in side, I cleaned the bottom with water, I did not use soap and it cleaned up nicely.