ID seal mark on dish

Started by david p, Mar 21, 2016, 06:56:38

Previous topic - Next topic

david p

Hello, Can anyone identify the gold seal mark on this ceramic dish? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! David.

peterp

Made by Okada, Gyouzan.
Maybe Stan can tell if this could be authentic.

david p

Thanx peterp, for all of your replies! I'm just doing some "weeding out"! David. P.S. I look forward to what Stan has to say about the ceramic dish!

Stan

Sorry I can't help, he is not in any of my books, but I can say that the mark is stamped and not hand signed, the foot rim looks to me like dirt was added to give the appearance that it is older than it really is, I do not think that this is very old because of the mark, I have never seen a stamped mark on such ware.

heavenguy

In early 20th century all the way to the Taisho period some artist studios were experimenting with different ideas to appeal to the western market. I have a Kinkozan water container and cup (same design for both) that looks like it was made for a little girls room. They also made some art Deco look alike pieces. I think that this is probably one of those wares they made for the western market that didn't have much success. They still were using the crackling effect for everything but in my opinion it didn't look that good as in Satsuma wares.

Stan

Hi Heavenly, I was offered a Kinkozan vase for $200.00 that was from the showa period, it had that 30's 40's look to it, I was surprised to see Kinkozan from that period, the quality was not that good though.