Revival Kutani dish?

Started by Mat, Mar 18, 2016, 17:20:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat

Hi again,
I have this small (13 cm) dish. I think it could be late Edo revival Kutani?  It has quite some wear and also irregularities in the glaze that make me think that it could be indeed late Edo and not one of the newer pieces... What Do you think?
Thank you,
Mat

Mat

And some more pictures...

Mat

And more...

Stan

Hi Mat, nice Kutani dish, I think you are right about the age, it appears to be from the Edo period, it looks like it has age to it, but I never seen a bottom like that before in Edo period, it almost looks like a pie crust decoration,and the decoration for Kutani was mostly birds, the colors look right to me, but I do not know enough to say exactly when in the Edo period, the dragon, I think might be a little later, I think you should get a hands on inspection, the ones at the high auctions that are early Edo period with a Fuku mark sell in the range from $30,000.00 to $50,000.00 U.S.D and the later Edo unmarked about $6000.00 the dragon with 3 claws is a typical Japanese Dragon design, I think if you study the the dragon shape you might be able to get a better idea of age and also the bottom.

Mat

Hi Stan, thank you and sorry for my late reply. The bottom is really unusual, I also found nothing similar anywhere. The dragon makes me think of late Edo period, and The decoration with the round blue medaillons and the decoration and the Chinese style pattern looks a bit similar to what I have seen on late Edo Akae Kutani, maybe it was made in a kiln that produced such wares too... Unfortunately I have no none for hands on inspection anywhere near me... However, I do not think this little dish would be worth that much, it also has a tiny hairline...
Mat