Chicken plate with fake Chenghua mark

Started by heavenguy, Mar 19, 2016, 05:51:56

Previous topic - Next topic

heavenguy

Hello guys,

I just bought a couple of copies of bowls/plates of the famous Chenghua chicken cup. According to the previous owner this pieces is at least 40 years old. They don't look that new to me but they don't look old to me either.

You think this is a mid- century reproduction? or maybe a recent one?  I don't think that the person who sold it to me had the idea of what type of things this were. They were really cheap so nothing to gain there either.

I always wanted to have something with the chicken cup design on it as part of my collection but this are more like small plates or bowls instead of a cup.

thank you for your time.

heavenguy

more pics...

Stan

Nice bowl in the Ducai style, it could very well be mid 20th century.

heavenguy

I like to trust what the seller tells me but I know they can lie without them knowing or they believe this stories that family member tells them. So its better to ask for opinions. My goal one day is to at least find a late Qing one.

peterp

Careful with items having that foot rim color. It looks unnatural. Indeed, a late Qing one is more likely to be genuine. Not only is real Ming doucai rare and expensive, any that has the Chenghua mark is suspect, all the more so if it has the chicken motif. Items that are high priced at auctions are more likely to be imitated in large numbers. I think the on-glaze colors are too thick for colors used in the Ming dynasty anyway.

heavenguy

Thank you Peterp,

I'll keep that in mind when looking for one.