Bamboo porcelain blue and white vase

Started by Stan, Mar 11, 2016, 05:23:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, here is a very unusual vase, I'm not even sure it is Chinese, because I have never seen one like it, I was told that it is Chinese, it is very heavily potted and is porcelain,the height is 23.5 cm and has four sides made up of bamboo shaped pieces and on each side a small painted picture all different, I am still having problems with the color, the blue is close but not exact, there is no purple in the blue, these photo's were taken using your method, placed on a chair and using white paper, it seems to have helped, but I think that it might be the lighting, once I figure out what it is that I am doing wrong, it will correct the color problem, for now I am still learning but I am getting closer, please let me know what you think, this piece looks very old, the plue looks to be more of a Kangxi blue, but I think this blue was used later as well, thanks for al your help.

peterp

This is more likely Japanese, in my view. First the color of the bamboo, then the painting and the bottom.
I have never seen such a bottom in Chinese porcelain. Either it is just rough unglazed or has traces of the woven cloth that has been placed underneath, if the bottom is flat.
But the painting is quite unlike traditional Chinese, more realistic in every sense. Are those thatched roofs? If yes, it must be Japanese. Thatched roofs were common in Japan, especially in the countryside, while Chinese houses did have none or they were hardly depicted in images. I guess there were some, in some regions, but roofs were generally different.