Large Charger with Guangxu dragons.

Started by Stan, Mar 09, 2016, 02:59:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, here is a very large Charger measuring 53.7 cm across and 12.7 high, this is an amazing hand painted Charger, one of the best that I have seen, very detailed, centered with a red and gold dragon, the mark is in my book of marks and reads, Chu xiu gong zhi, which I believe is a Guangxu mark, the clouds are not usual for Guangxu clouds that I have seen , the dragons look good though, your expertise is much appreciated.

Stan

Here is another set of photo's, I am trying to figure out this new camera and the photo's are either to large or to small, I will figure it out.

Stan

Last set of photo's, thanks for viewing.

Stan

Here is a larger photo of the first one I posted.

peterp

The double foot rim seems to serve no use. I think it was originally intended to strengthen the bottom of plates, to prevent it from sagging during firing. But with the inner rim being so near the outer rim I wonder what its purpose should be?
With the diameter you mentioned it looks as if the mark is quite big too. I would think that the mark would not be much larger than usual, even with a large charger. I would think 2-3cm should be normal. Then, the blue color of the mark would not have a purple tint, usually.

Yes, the clouds look a bit off the normal too. I do not know what this means. I have been told that yellow glazes do develop crackling very easily, thus this may not be applicable as age sign.

The mark is "Chu Xiu Gong" ???, the name of a palace within the imperial palace (forbidden city).
If authentic, the item would have to be imperial, made in the Guangxu period, but I suspect it is later, perhaps republic period?

Stan

Thanks Peter, that was my thought as well, republic, I never seen anything from the Guangxu period that had a mark like this, it does have some age marks, sorry for the lousy photography, I think I found out why my colors are never quite right, a friend of mine that sells on E-bay was showing me how he takes photos, I was amazed at how accurate his colors we're with a Cheap digital camera, he said the trick is the bulbs, they need to be full spectrum bulbs, I bought some today and I will test them out as soon as I can, the mark is blue with no purple in it what so ever, I hope that is the problem, it would make sense, this is the third camera that I have purchased and I am still having the same issues with color, what does that tell you, its not the camera, thanks again Peter, for your help.

peterp

Hehe... looks as if you did not read the email dated Feb 26th.

Stan

No I did read the email, I thought I was doing what you said, except the chair, I was using a chest and the wall for the back but I did not try the paper yet, I will try it.