Chinese Oxblood Flambe Pottery Vase unsigned. / Reproduction? Old ?

Started by elizabeth, Mar 11, 2016, 12:47:40

Previous topic - Next topic

elizabeth

Found vase at a thrift store.  It heavy/ thick walled porcelain vase with a Flambe glaze of dark red with blue that shines through in the light.  It is unsigned and 12" tall. 
There was a receipt inside that was for 36 dollars from an 2nd hand shop.  Although the receipt may or may not have been related to this item since there was a bunch of paper waded up inside  ( strange)  I have seen this Chinese flambe pottery all over the internet with prices ranging from 30 dollar to over a thousand.  How can one tell if it is old abet in excellent condition.  The high priced ones usually the foot ring pretty beat up.   

elizabeth

needed to make another post to add the pictures

Stan

Hi Elizabeth, the top rim and the bottom look more recently made to me, I do not see any age signs, pitting, loss of glaze, and it looks like the bottom edge was shaved slightly, typical for 20th century.

elizabeth

Shaved foot ring?    what is the purpose for that?      i looked up some 20th century Chinese Flambe vases the foot ring on some look crumbly. 
What exactly does Flambe mean?    Are all flambe vases have the two tone color as if one color is hiding behind the main color which is revealed in certain lighting? 
I have some other older Japanese pottery from a great aunt's estate that look to be flambe-ish.  That are cobalt blue with another shade sprinkled in.  Those are made with the brown clay. 

Stan

The Flambe was created by dripping the glaze onto the vase,  and then firing it, sometimes especially in the late Qing the glaze would sag to the point it would stick to the kiln and not look that pretty, but the earlier Flambe glazes were more controlled and the glaze at the foot was much more even, the later 20th century flambe glazes are more controlled than the late Qing and at the foot they would shave off the access build up at the bottom of the foot, the ones I have seen up close have been shaved with a diamond grinding wheel.

Stan

the photo of the bottom is to small really to tell if it has been ground down, if you could take a close up photo of the bottom where the glaze meets the foot, it should be a clear close up photo, thanks.

elizabeth

Thanks!   

Can I post Japanese ceramics on this site too?

elizabeth

I will get a new picture... I had to make it really small to be able to upload it on this site.  But I will try again. 

elizabeth

peterp

Flambe - please read the Wikipedia explanation for the English meaning in view to porcelain. The Chinese name for this type of glaze is different. A direct translation would be  a "kiln altered glaze".  The colors of flambe are mostly  red and blue; the different colors are the result of the kiln temperature change and/or firing time. The colors of such glazes can not be entirely controlled in the kiln.