Can anyone help with antique charger?

Started by sarjanlong, Feb 28, 2016, 03:56:33

Previous topic - Next topic

sarjanlong

Antique charger measures 10 1/4", 1 3/8" tall. Quite heavy.  Would love any info at all!

Thanks,
Sarah

Stan

This looks like a modern fake, the impressed mark would be early 20th century, I just do not think that they were made with holes in the foot for hanging on walls at that time, that came much later in the 20th century.

peterp

This is Japanese. The bottom/foot rim confirm this, as is the impressed mark which reads either Yamatoku or Tokuyama, depending on whether it is read from left to right or right to left.
Stan, I think you will agree that the holes were drilled later? If they were originally there, the holes would not have affected the plate body, only the foot rim.

Stan

Hi Peter, the holes are glazed over, if the hole was drilled later, the areas around the hole and in the hole would be unglazed, but it clearly looks glazed from these photo's, don't you think.
I agree with Japanese, arita ware, but a fake could be made anywhere, not to mention that this is hand painted, from what I read about the maker of this time, this would have been transfer ware, there is to many things about this that look like a fake to me, where the wire is there is no rust, I have had plates that have had the old fashion wire on the back, not holes and they always left marks from the wire, even the front of the plate looks new, it could have been made in China.

Stan

From my understanding, the early 20th century and earlier would have had stilt marks on the bottom but here there appears to be none.

sarjanlong

I took the clues you all provided and spent some time searching marks. I think I found it: Tezuka Kinsei. Dates from 1910-1920. Sound right?

There is a stilt mark in the center.

Stan

If it was authentic, but I have my doubts for listed reasons.

Stan

Peter is right the mark is Yamatoku which means Mountain Virtue, a known arita mark, but the mark is spurious.

Mat

Stan, I have seen a wide range of plates with the yamatoku mark, and many of them decorated by hand. Also I think that spur marks are not very common any more in the early 20th c. The style of the painting fits also in that period. The only strange thing are the holes, but I would not exclude that Yamatoku would have made some plates only for decorative purposes. To me the plate looks ok...

Stan

Hi Mat,  the decoration looks a little funny and so does the blue color for early 20th century, also there is so many fakes now that is flooding the market, I am seeing more and more of it, to me the holes make an obvious fake, unless the Japanese are now making new arita ware with Yamatoku spurious marks.