Large blue and white bottle vase

Started by Stan, Feb 26, 2016, 07:07:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, here is another auction win, I like this one, it has all the nice signs of Antique porcelain, it is unsigned but a nice example, I am not sure how old, I think 19th century but it has a different blue than  the late Qing that I have, here it is brighter blue the late Qing, I have not been able to find the same design that is on this vase, your help is appreciated, I will post 9 photo's, thanks.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

Here are the last set of photo's to view, thanks again.

Stan

I forgot to mention the size, it is 56.3 cm tall.

peterp

That is tall, Stan.  I still think it is late Qing. Both the blue color and and white glaze resemble that of some of the prunus ginger jars exported in the Guangxu reign, although it does not seem to be chemical blue.
The decoration is another dragon. I am not sure if I ever saw it on a Qing dynasty item. Mythology says that the dragon had nine offspring, this is one of them. It is characterized by the split tail.
You will find it on bronze wares and more ancient monochrome porcelain (pre-Ming), more often sculpted than painted, adhering on the shoulder/neck of vases, jars, etc.

Stan

I probably should have taken the photo's under natural light, the white is not white, white, it has a slight blueish look to it, I took these under artificial light and it makes things look brighter especially the white, the blue is a little darker but correct in color and the bottom foot is smooth to the touch, I agree late 19th century a good find at the local auction, thanks Peter for your expertise.