Miniature Chinese ?? Pitcher

Started by rlmstamps, Feb 17, 2016, 04:33:27

Previous topic - Next topic

rlmstamps

This miniature pitcher was in my grandmothers house for many years.
I would be interested in dating it, and in its origin.

heavenguy

Japanese Kutani ware. probably recent.

rlmstamps

I am 60 years old and it was in my grandmothers house since I was a young boy.
What is your definition of recent.

heavenguy

Even if the Mark says Satsuma is not really satsuma ware. Since you mention you saw this while growing up then it could be from late Meiji period to early Taisho. (early 1900's to 1920's.) They produce similar pieces in late 20th century so thats why I mention cause I used to own a smilier piece with a selling tag from Woolworth sold in the 80's. but Stan is the pro in Japanese ware in here... Good luck

rlmstamps

Thank you heavenguy,
It is inexperience that makes me ask these questions. Thank you for deferring to
Stan or Peter. I do know that, no item that I bring to your respectful forum, will have been purchased in recent years.

Mat

I would also vote for 1920s-30s...

Stan

This is Japanese export, and is a creamer, it had a sugar bowl at one time, I agree this is early 20th century, I am not sure what the mark says, it is not Satsuma ware though, and looks more like Katani as Heavenguy stated.

peterp

It says 'Satsuma' in hiragana characters:  ???

Stan

I wonder if the writing was added later, perhaps whoever owned it last might have thought it was satsuma and wrote it on the bottom, is the mark on top of the glaze and can it be removed with your fingernail if so it was added later.

rlmstamps

I do not think that anyone that owned this recently, cared who made it!

Stan

I have found many porcelains, Chinese and Japanese that someone used fingernail polish to put a mark on, it can be removed with a fingernail, if it is enamel you can not remove it, Japanese porcelain would not be signed that way, it would be the same as a piece signed Imari, you just don't see it.

rlmstamps

Wow, or double wow to that,
My mother, father, or parents on either side could have cared less about who made what. I could barely care, but had enough interest to reach out. I do not think I will
perform fingernail tests on anything that I love anytime soon!!!
I do love and respect all of you,
Stay tuned!!