Dragon Plate

Started by Mey afsheen, Feb 22, 2016, 00:42:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Mey afsheen

Please identify this plate. I got this from someone in Kalimantan, Indonesia. It looks old and there is Chinese writing on it. but I cannot find references when and where it was made.
They call this plate as an 1000 crackles plate or an anti stale plate.
I tried myself to keep coconut milk on the plate for two days and not stale. That coconut milk turned into coconut oil. They believe that oil can cure many diseases.

Stan

Hi Mey, could you post close up photo's of the bottom foot rim at an angle  and a close up of the dragon, face and tail also one of the crackle, these photo's should be clear, not blurry and under natural light near a window that allows natural light, thanks.

Mey afsheen

Hi Stan, thanks for your replay. Here are the close up photos.

peterp

I do not think this is Chinese at all. This sort of nipple in the center does not look Chinese, and the dragon does also not look Chinese either.  The cloud decoration and the place center looks odd too.  A close up view of the central decoration might clarify if it is a fake or just made elsewhere.

Stan

Hi Peter, with the bottom like this, do you think it was made in a mould?

peterp

I do not know, Stan, but with the traditional Chinese production methods the bottom could not possibly have been made that way. Overall, the decoration looks like an imitation not made by Chinese craftsmen. An enlarged image of the center medallion should further show if this is a try at imitating Chinese characters or motifs.

Stan

Hi Peter, another clue to age is the wire that is used for the hanger, are the holes drilled or was it fired with the holes made for a wire hanger, if it was made that way, it would be a more recent made item and could have been made anywhere, we also need a close up of the holes that the wire is going through as well as a close up of the center of the plate, thanks Mey.