Blue and white bowl.

Started by Franki2014, Mar 09, 2014, 06:56:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Franki2014

Please tell me what you think?

peterp

Do you have a side view?
Also, the lighting is such that it is impossible to see if the area within the foot rim is glazed.

Franki2014

Hi Peter,
This should be clearer. The inside of the foot rim does not look glazed to me but the item has been weathered.

peterp

Could be Ming or early Qing dynasty. Due to the condition of the item the decoration, foot rim and shape are almost the only points we can go with for evaluation. The shape looks more like the 17th century bowls to me.
Unless someone has or knows the exactly same type of item it will be a bit difficult. Usually, colors and glaze also help, but they are of little use with this one.
I must say that I have never seen a piece in such a state. Most items I know that were excavated or lifted from shipwrecks don't show this color.

Franki2014

Thanks Peter for your insights. This is another purchased at the same time. I don't know if they ard connected but groups of objects can provide more clues...

peterp

Could be from about the same period. The glaze looks dull, though. Is this caused by the image resolution or does the glaze actually look that way. If yes, check if there are signs that it has been in the water for long periods of time.