Questions on a Canton China Tea and Berry Set Service for Four

Started by rlmstamps, Feb 14, 2016, 06:06:08

Previous topic - Next topic

rlmstamps

This set was one of my mother's prized possessions. Growing up, I remember being told that it came from Canton China. My mother would speak of it, being brought  to America by our family, as part of the slave trade. I am including the first page of my early genealogy as a reference of provenance. It does speak of John Burdon coming to America on a ship with a cargo of slaves, to Salem, Massachusetts. Burdon was my mothers maiden name.  I would like to ask for your help in dating the set. I was told early 1700's.I have never been able to identify the crest.

peterp

From these pictures it looks as if it were Chinese export, armorial ware, made in the 18th century. The foot rim of the plates seem to confirm that dating, but additional closeups of foot rims of a disk/saucer and the bowl would be required to confirm if they are from the same era. A closeup of the blue/gilt decoration might also help. It is more likely, however, that this was made in the second quarter of the 18th century or later, due to the use of the specific type of blue used.

Two or three things to consider:
This might not be a real crest at all, just a replacement en lieu of a crest or initials.
This type of armorial ware was apparently made like a template item, without crest or initials. The latter were then filled according requirement when somebody ordered it. Thus, this type of decoration has been made for a considerable length of time.

Stan

Indeed, these are Chinese export, it is very rare to have a set, especially as Peter already mentioned, Amorial, I have a Tea pot and a gravy boat of the same pattern, mine is not Amorial though, the earliest date that I could find for this shape is 1780 but in my search I found that there is two types of handles that are decorated and embossed at the base of the handle, one appears to be older, as Peter mentioned more photos are needed.

rlmstamps

Thanks to peterp and Stan for responding so promptly.

I am attaching a few more photos as requested.

Thank you very much for your help.

Bob

Stan

The shape of the Tea Pot is identical to the one I have which is late 18th century, the blue color is also correct, in my opinion, unless Peter says other wise.

peterp

Hi Stan,
No problem with the blue color. I wanted to confirm that it is on the glaze (not underglaze blue). That pinpoints as late Kangxi or later, as onglaze blue was first used then.

Stan

rlmstamps

Looking at the Kangxi period 1662-1722. Would that confirm the possibility that the set could have come on the same ship that John Burdon came over on, as I had been told. We know that he built his second residence, a log cabin on the lake in 1727.

Stan

Hi Rimstamp, it is unlikely, at the high auctions and in my books the earliest I could find with this shape is 1780 or later, the earlier tea pots have a different shape altogether.

rlmstamps

Thanks again to both Stan and Peter,
It may have been a later relative that brought them to the US.
We will never know for sure how they got here. The old story started on one
side of the room, and changing by the time it gets to the other side, comes to mind.
1780 or so is still old in my book. Thanks again. I have enjoyed poking around on your site. It is all very interesting to me.

peterp

By the way, this more likely Jingdezhen ware than Canton, although the shipping port may have been Canton.