a large blue and white plate

Started by alandal, Feb 14, 2016, 04:48:37

Previous topic - Next topic

alandal

Hi, I bought this plate 1996-1997 in China. Back then I liked the pattern and size to be a good deco.

Its diameter is about 42cm, the base is somewhat gray. There is a small imperfection on the rim showing the dark brown colored base.

No one has told me its actual date since then, so I hope Peter or someone could shed some light. I appreciate any comments.

peterp

Without a few close-up shots showing the brush strokes (partially) really close up it is difficult to tell more. From these pictures it looks as if it could be an imitation of early Ming decoration, at least in part. The bottom looks suspicious, however, as if it was made to look that way for age faking. The rim and its decoration could be from a different period.

alandal

Thanks Peter! I wanted to upload more photos, but your limitation (400K) prevented me from doing so. Here are a few close-ups.

Thanks again.

peterp

That will do.
The white glaze looks as if it was from a more recent time, I'm afraid. Overall, the central decoration existed as early as the Yuan dynasty. But even for an item of the early Ming dynasty, the glaze and painting style are unlikely, as is the rim decoration which was more common later. But the real problem is the bottom, in my view. The foot rim looks unlikely for any Ming item, and the bottom could have been made to look that way artificially.
This could have been fairly new at the time you bought it.

peterp

That will do.
The white glaze looks as if it was from a more recent time, I'm afraid. Overall, the central decoration existed as early as the Yuan dynasty. But even for an item of the early Ming dynasty, the glaze and painting style are unlikely, as is the rim decoration which was more common later. But the real problem is the bottom, in my view. The foot rim looks unlikely for any Ming item, and the bottom could have been made to look that way artificially. And there are no age signs or scratching that would show a long life of usage, nor anything that hints to excavation or it being from a shipwreck. The vitreous glaze looks a bit too shiny, and copies made in the late Qing dynasty would normally have a different base.
This could have been fairly new at the time you bought it. My personal opinion.

alandal