Large Satsuma Censer.

Started by Stan, Feb 12, 2016, 09:07:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, here is a nice piece of Satsuma, I have had this for several years now, I think that it is Kinkozan but I am not sure, the dealer I bought it from said it was kinkozan and the mark looks a little like kinkozan, I took it to Bonhams to see what they say but I missed the woman that does the appraisals for Japanese and the woman that was their specialized in Chinese porcelain, everyone there loved the piece and the lady that specialized in Chinese said it did not say Kinkozan, and said that it is a very special piece and took pictures, this was about a year age and I have not heard back, I forgot about it and so never pursued it  but the mark looks like other examples of his signature, could you tell me what the eight marks mean, I know that the last two are Japan. I would date this to 1880--1890, I will post 12 photo's to view, thanks.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

Here is the last set of photo's to view, thanks.

Stan

Sorry I forgot to mention that the hight is 39.8 cm.

peterp

You know more than me about Japanese porcelain, Stan.
All I can say is that the motif depicts people in Chinese garments, hairstyle, etc., but that is quite normal in Japanese arts and crafts.
The mark literally says:  'Japan, Kyoto, Kinkozan made'
Looks as if the Bonham person is not fluent in one of the three major Far Eastern languages; this is  easy to read. Standard character type and easy to read writing.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I'm not loosing my mind, makes me wonder about some of their appraisers.