Iron Red Background, Gold Gilt Decor - Unknown Mark

Started by Stillwaters, Mar 29, 2014, 08:11:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Stillwaters

I'm not sure if there is a "term" for this ware, but I can't see to find one. I can't ID the mark either. I think its a nice piece, no chips at all, veyr pretty. Can someone help me out with the mark?

shelley Kong

The column on the right says "Great Japan" and I can't read the left column.

peterp

It may be Japanese Kinrande. Maybe Stan can confirm this?

Stillwaters

Yeah I found it, Kinrande is another name for it, they call it Eiraku ware too. This was by one of the Eiraku family members, possibly Eiraku Hozen himself, the signature looks very similar to ones I've found and the style is the same. I'm so stupid for not noticing Dai Nippon... Kick myself for that one.

peterp

Yes, the name in the mark is Eiraku. Not easy to read, though.

Stillwaters

This is the one that they are saying is the original Hozen himself, the marks look similar, and the cobalt is too. The other Eiraku members didn't seem to use cobalt in their pieces and signed them in red. I don't know, I hope its an original Eiraku Hozen, who is grandmaster of this stuff. The marks appear to be the same, only written slightly different or abbreviated. Not getting my hopes up though

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Japanese-Eiraku-Hozen-Kinrande-Bowl-Red-Gold-Blue-porcelain-Konan-Ware-/291085223403?pt=Asian_Antiques&hash=item43c60805eb#ht_2733wt_1071

Closeup

http://pages.pacificcoast.net/~njames/7-13-2013/chinesevase90/035.JPG

Peter, do you read Chinese/Japanese?

Stan

Hi Stillwaters, I do not know much about Eiraku porcelain, other than it is rare, and your bowl is  nicely decorated and looks like example that I have seen, sorry I could not be of help, please let me know what you find out. Thanks.

Stillwaters

Actually I did find out, the signature reads "Da Ni Pon Ei Raku Zho" - Made by Eiraku Japan. I believe it is an actual piece by Eiraku Hozen himself, who was was the originator of the term and also one of the "Three Famous Potters of Kyoto."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Japanese-Eiraku-Hozen-Kinrande-Bowl-Red-Gold-Blue-porcelain-Konan-Ware-/291085223403?pt=Asian_Antiques&hash=item43c60805eb

Stan

Hi Stillwaters, early Eiraku is 18th century and I do not believe that the porcelain would have been high fired, and would have been uneven and not perfectly round, I believe that yours was made later, an earlier piece would have age signs, because your is perfectly round and thin porcelain, I think yours would be from 1880 to 1900, at this time the Japanese were making some of the nicest porcelain in the world, such as your bowl. Nice bowl by the way.

Stillwaters

Well, Eiraku Hozen was born in 1795, and he invented the style, so I don't think early Eiraku ware was 18th century. He died in 1854

Stan

1795 would be considered late 18th century and if I am correct, white true high fired porcelain did not come into the picture until later, around late 19th century to early 20th century before that the porcelain " kaolin" was mixed with clay and not fired as high as later and that is why older Japanese porcelain had uneven porcelain, your bowl is perfectly round and and from the looks of the thine porcelain it is pure porcelain, that is why I think it is later. the old porcelain with clay content, would have been and thicker potted bowl to keep it from distorting, I have many such bowls and all of them are distorted, not perfectly round, that is why I think it is a later production.

Stan

Hi Stillwaters, thank you for correcting me, if he was producing porcelain late 19th century to early 20th century you could very well have a bowl by him, I was thinking he was from an earlier period.