Pottery Horse

Started by kardinalisimo, Mar 23, 2016, 12:29:36

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Not sure if Chinese or Japanese but with that type of glaze I suspect something recent?
It's about 9 1/2" long. Hold very little water, about an ounce. Water dropper or maybe pipe or so?
Thanks

peterp

Looks like a modern fantasy creation to me, not necessarily Asian.

heavenguy

The horse looks very short and both armors from warrior and horse looks a little bit Mongolian to me.  Am not sure what does the back bowl the warrior has on the back represents.

If it holds very little liquid then it could be some type of oil dispenser.

kardinalisimo

Found what it is. A Korean Silla Horse Rider Vessel. I guess a reproduction, probably a museum souvenir. Still not sure of the vessel's purpose.

heavenguy

you got it... According to the original museum piece its some type of vessel to serve liquids. and like you said it is a copy of the original. found this image with the description of the piece.

peterp

Even if the item itself is genuine, I have doubts about the glaze. I know of no metallic glaze looking like this. It could have been painted on added later. If it IS an old glaze you need to be careful and better wash your hands after touching it. Some very old glazes may contain mercury. Although that still does not make them look as shiny as this one is.