Is this a Late Qing or Republic jar?

Started by Hmm, Dec 22, 2015, 06:59:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Hmm

Hi, any chance this is a late Qing or Republic jar?  Found it in a thrift store without a lid. 

imgur.com/a/7TxKx

Thanks.

peterp

Might be republic, but some colors look as if the decoration was retouched. Especially the yellow looks like something of the 20th century.

Hmm

Thanks a lot!

Is there anyway I can confirm whether it has been retouched?  Is that why parts of the painting is a bit rough to the touch?  How are the colors normally retouched?  Do they reapply a glaze and then rebake them in the kiln?

peterp

Theoretically it is possible, but normal retouching does not include refiring, or perhaps at very low temperatures. The colors used may not be the same as those for normal painting and firing.
Restorers often use acrylic colors in the west, but there is no refiring. You can test with a needle if you can pierce it. If yes, it is likely made with the above method, but if it is hard, then it may have been fired. In normal firing the colors would get somewhat smoother, due their becoming semi-liquid in the process.

Hmm

Hmm.  I tried poking it with a needle, and it didn't pierce through.  Not sure how hard I would have to press, but I pressed fairly hard, and it felt rather hard and wouldn't be easy to scratch off. 

Any idea what this bottle may have been used for?  Do you think I could still use it to put e.g. rice wine in? 

I was actually wondering about vintage/antique blue and white pieces how much I have to worry about lead poisoning.  I understand brighter color pieces and those with no overglaze can't be used, but can regular white pieces or blue and white pieces be used?  I would love to use some pieces for tea if there's no problem.