Tianbai Anhua Bowl

Started by kardinalisimo, Dec 12, 2015, 12:05:45

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Recent? What's with the underglaze Nei Foo and the Tian on the base?

Thanks

peterp

I think this is a modern imitation. If genuine it would be official (imperial) kiln ware, which can be excluded with such a white glaze.

kardinalisimo

Is not Tianbai supposted to be white white or it should have a bit of blue hue?
I also think the piece is not of Imperial quality because there is pooling of the glaze on some areas. The circular throwing marks look somewhat too uniform to me. The Nei Fu was commonly seen on pieces for the Viatnamese market, right?

peterp

This is not a Nei Fu (??) and it is unlikely for export to Further, Nei Fu marks were also used in China, even on minyao porcelain. You can see an example on the very first page of the marks section, bottom left picture.

Your cup is pure white (snow white). Pure white porcelain did not exist before the later Qing dynasty, and then mostly only with Dehua kiln items. It was impossible to make such white items before that. All white items made before that would have a yellowish or possibly a pink tint if held to the light, or otherwise not be pure. The whiteness depends on the natural colors of clay, glaze, and the purification process of the clay before use. It was just not possible to manufacture them that white earlier. It does not look like antique Dehua either.