Qing Dynasty bowl

Started by calder, Mar 27, 2014, 04:05:22

Previous topic - Next topic

calder

Hi could anyone give me information on this Qianlong marked bowl.

15.5cm  wide
Thank you in advance.
Thoughts?

peterp

Hi, that is a 'doucai' decorated bowl. I cannot help with doucai, never handled any. Authentic, antique doucai is too rare.
Just two remarks. The item looks too new to be Qianlong, in my view. Are you aware that a doucai items like this, if authentic, would be very expensive? Perhaps a five digit figure?

calder

Hi Peter do you think it is a  modern copy perhaps Late 20th century?
There is light ware inside bowl.

peterp

Couldn't tell for sure as I am not knowing enough about this type. Just telling you what to expect.

The fact that the item uses a Qianlong mark of this type makes it more unlikely that it is a late 19th or early 20th century, in my view. But the mark itself isn't good enough either, to be imperial.  I have seen a number of doucai items on offer online, mostly in places where I would not buy a high priced item. And, they all looked pretty new.

But, I would ask for a second opinion if you already purchased this, perhaps from a first tier auction house, as they are more likely to have seen an authentic one.

calder

Stan

Peter, would the foot edge be considered a worm back bottom?

Stan

Hi Calder, I recently purchase two vases that I listed on Peters sep site, I listed under, Chinese ducai vase, the colors are exactly the same.

Stan

Correction, I titled it Chinese ducai porcelain.

calder

Hi Stan would it be possible for you  to direct me to the link.
It would make an interesting read.
Thanks

Stan

Hi Calder, look at Chinese Ceramic Discussion and then under Chinese ducai porcelain, listed be stan.

peterp

> would the foot edge be considered a worm back bottom?

Yes it is. That would be a 'requirement' for imperial ware, but may or may not be used on minyao porcelain. And it also appears on good copies, of course.

Stan

Thank you Peter, Im learning every day, I also just looked at a lot of authentic Ducai porcelain, I had to google it under doucai and a lot more came up, but what I found unfortunately for me and Calder is that our items are not as finely detailed as the ones that I found, Im not saying ours is not real, but from what I have seen ours would be more recent. the ones I saw on Christies were from the 18th century.

peterp

Doucai has always been porcelain for the upper classes. It was created in the Ming dynasty, and it seems to have been expensive right from that beginning. This is probably the reasons that it is heavily copied.
The Chenghua chicken cup is probably one of the most famous ones. It has been widely copied. One was announced to be auctioned by Sotheby's Hong Kong, early next month. Although simple, it is thought to fetch an eight digit figure.

Stan

Be on the look out for one of thoughts.

calder