Pen Holder - Age?

Started by Mat, Dec 02, 2015, 18:55:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat

Hi Peter, I bought this pen holder ( h: 11.5 cm). I am not sure how old it is. First I thought it was comparable to those common late Qing-Republic Fangge Vases, but maybe it actually could be older? The painting reminds me of Kangxi pieces, and I have seen a pen holder that is in the palace museum in similar technique and of that period.Of course it is of much finer quality. However, also the four character
Chenghua mark seems to exist on porcelain of that period. What is your overall impression, is this a late Qing piece or maybe older? Thank you very much,
Mat

peterp

I can only say that this is typical for late Qing. It is difficult to tell more exactly when, but I do not think this is early republic. So Qing it is...

Mat

Thank you Peter, that is good to know! Do you think this kind of ware has been made in Jingdezhen?
Regards,
Mat

peterp

It is likely that it was made in that area, because Qing porcelain types imitating Song ceramics were mostly done in JDZ.  However, regarding those specific ones with the Chenghua mark I was once told that they were made in a more remote kiln. Not sure if this is true, though.

Mat

Thank you for this information, Peter!