Cup

Started by Mike, Dec 05, 2015, 00:36:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Hi all

I've already been helped by Mat in the non ceramic forum. I finally got to a piece from my grandmothers estate that is ceramic. It appears to be a cup (maybe an offering cup or something?). Thank you for helping me identify this for me. I just don't want to donate anything my grandmother would have wanted me to keep.

calder

Hi Mike
From the littile knowledge I have this is a Benjarong  bowl it  is Thai and translates to five colours.
Hope this helps.
SOME ONE WILL TELL YOU FOR SURE.

Stan

Hi Calder, I think these colors were used in the Jiajing period during the great ming dynasty, what makes you think it is Taiwanese?

Mat

Hi, the shape and decoration reminds me also of Benjarong, I think these pieces were also made in China for the Thai market. Mat

calder

Hi Stan it looks to me to erthenware rather than porcelain.
Could be wrong though.
For the Thai market.

Stan

You could be right Calder, it does look a bit porous, but it looks like it was made in a mould and some times can look that way, Mike, you can check to see if it is porcelain or stone ware by placing it on a towel and clicking it with your fingers, if it makes a high ring tone then it is porcelain, a low ring tone would mean that it is stoneware, also I think it was the Wucai Ming period that started the 5 colors and then copied by later periods.

Stan

Correction, Wucai means 5 colors, I am not sure what period they started using 5 colors, I think I can be safe saying it started sometime in the Ming dynasty.

Mike

Hi guys

Thank you for all of the information. I did flick it and it rang, so I suppose it is porcelain. I know of the Ming dynasty just from college but also know it was a long period. I would assume it would be late Ming if it is? If you have a ballpark period of time that would be helpful. Otherwise I will just make sure not to donate this one due to its historical nature. Thank you again.

Stan

Hi Mike, I really don't know that much about Ming porcelain, but I think it is safe to say that your stem cup with the scalloped edge is very unusual for Ming, I think it could also be  Japanese, they did a lot of porcelain with scalloped edges and they copied the Chinese, it looks old and could be Edo peroid if it is Japanese.