Pottery ( Zodiac?) figure

Started by Andy Dorset, Nov 30, 2015, 00:38:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Dorset

Hi Peter,
Here are a couple more items from my Summer spent at Boot Sales and Markets. The first is a figure that stands at approx. 8 inches tall. I am not sure that it could be a Zodiac figure? Possibly, supposedly from a tomb/ burial? I cant say that I have seen one very similar to be honest so I am pretty clueless what it is. I assume it has to be Chinese, could it be as old as it looks?
Many thanks Peter,
Andy

peterp

My first reaction was also that it could be burial ware. The fact that it earthenware adds to the possibility. We can only assume that is related to the zodiac if other related figures were present. The details of the eyes is a bit unusual for a burial item; it means that it is not necessary from those times. This would warrant a hands-on inspection.

Andy Dorset

Hi Peter,
Yes quite understand that it could do with a hands on inspection. The possibility that it is NOT in fact  burial ware is quite reassuring. Despite appreciating the beauty and history of such things I personally would never want to own one. When I said that I have not seen one before it was a bit of an untruth, there is one quite similar listed on Ebay but unless I see items in Museum archives I always regard them ( especially on Ebay) a bit dubious. I assume this type of Chinese ware is faked just as much as others. The listing is described as ''Ancient Chinese Rare Yuan Dynasty 8 in Terracotta figure 1279-1368 AD'' and is listed by a seller in Ohio US. If you get the time it would be great if you could take a look. I am unable to post the link unfortunately but I am guessing the title would put you onto the item. As I mentioned it is similar to the one I own but the figure is missing the 'animal'. It also states it comes with a COA from a Curator from Whales Museum in the UK. Hmm, to my knowledge there is no such Museum but I suppose it could be a genuine mistake. Surely it would be highly unlikely to be Yuan Dynasty anyway? It is also ridiculously expensive.
Kind regards and thanks in advance,
Andy

peterp

Perhaps Wales Museum?  Anyway, such items are (1) not that rare, (2) normally at least as old as Yuan and, as far as I know (3) not that expensive. But  still, there are many fakes nowadays. The chance that you buy a burial item when you buy a genuine pre-Ming figurine is quite high, in my view. One could probably say that the majority of figurines of that age were for made burial.

Reference: http://www.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/collectable-or-not.html

Andy Dorset

Hi Peter,
thanks that's very interesting and thank you for your thoughts. Yes, regarding the price its a little wishful thinking really but God loves a trier ha ha. I got mine for practically pennies. It is a good looking item which I will enjoy for a short while. On the basis that it could potentially be authentic and a burial figure I am far too superstitious to keep it long term.
Thank you once more Peter,
Best regards Andy