Chinese bowl with Qianlong seal

Started by soonwoon, Nov 21, 2015, 23:38:54

Previous topic - Next topic

soonwoon

Hi Peter,

I have quite a few things from my late grandfather. This is one of them. It's 18mm by 8mm. Can you take a look and comment?

Thanks.

Rgds,
Jeff

peterp

If you could upload close-ups of one or two places of the decoration (very close). I suspect this has a sgraffito background, but the images do not allow to make sure.
Also, the whole bottom, a closeup of the mark, and a partial picture of the foot rim, taken at about a 45 degree angle might help. The interior can also be important, especially if there are imperfections, scratches or other usage traces.

soonwoon

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply and comment. I do not have the bowl with me as I'm working outside my hometown. What I can only do now is magnify the higher resolution of the closed up and upload for your reference.  Please see if they help. Regarding what you mean by sgraffito, I supposed you mean the embedded carving on the yellow colored area besides the flowery decoration. The carving looks like some rounded flower. Apparently only the yellow region has this.

You will find some closed up attached showing that. Is that significant? I wonder how it is made. Attached also the interior pic, some wear but it's clean overall.

Please let me know what do you think. Thanks.

Rgds,
Jeff

peterp

It could be a minyao bowl made in the late Qing dynasty, this despite the "????? mark.
I still cannot see the sgraffito clearly, but it seems to be of the spiral type, which is commonly seen on private kiln items.
I can also not find an imperial mark of this type, although I believe I have seen the mark; with that I mean it is likely that the item was made later in the Qing dynasty.
Seems to have some age. You should research the mark. My mark books have limits. Also, as imperial items seem to have a different sgraffito decorations, you could research that.
Beautiful bowl.

soonwoon

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the comment. I stumbled upon this while doing my research and saw this vase with very similar settings and almost the same way of painting on an auction site in China-HK. You can find in the attached picture. It might be difficult to notice but seems like it has the sgrafitto too. But the bottom mark is different. Is it common to have different marks for the goods produced from the same age?

Thanks.

Rgds,
Jeff

peterp

As I mentioned, the type of sgraffito may be important. Comparing with pictures has its limits. Best is always to see the actual item.