chinese ceramic seal age information needed please

Started by rb05cmdr, Mar 22, 2014, 20:52:03

Previous topic - Next topic

rb05cmdr

good morning forum..
I had a question on a ceramic Chinese seal I have. I have seen jade, bronze, and other stone carved seals, but from what little information I have found it seems that ceramic/porcelain seals can be rare due to the difficulty in carving the seal in a ceramic material. I don't collect seals but rather Asian porcelains and fine arts so I took a chance on buying this due to finding it very interesting, unusual, and from judging the look of the biscuit, burnt orange and cobalt color. Hopefully someone can tell me more about this seal and if further investigation and translation is warranted, or if this is a more recent copy. I flipped the seal in pic 1 for easier reading of the symbols. Thank you very much for your replies and expertise.

rb05cmdr

I forgot to add the dimensions. 3.25x3.25".
Apologies

peterp

Yes, that is right. Porcelain seals are quite rare. From this it is difficult to know its age, although the decoration itself looks as if it could be late Qing dynasty to early republic. My personal view.

rb05cmdr

Thank you Peter for your reply. If anyone knows of someone that can translate large or small seal script, please see if they would be willing to post a translation of the seal characters. thank you

peterp

The normal procedure for that is to use the seal and stamp an impression on paper. Whether it is possible to read it is hard to tell by looking at a mirror image.