Chinese Flamb? vase.

Started by Stan, Nov 07, 2015, 04:07:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, this vase has a very unusual top, from the overall appearance it looks like it could be late Qing, the inside looks older, pitting, cracks in the porcelain from firing, but the outside looks much later, no scratches, have you ever seen a top like this? the bottom is very sloppy where the glaze stuck to bottom of the kiln, looks like a copper glaze, the vase is 32.6 cm tall, please let me know what you think of age and any information would be great, thanks.

Stan

Here is the last set of photo's, thanks for viewing.

peterp

I have never seen this mouth shape on traditional porcelain, Stan. You will have to find a similar item to find out more. I assume the bottom is glazed. It is a bit unusual, however, that the mark is not impressed, but protruding from the surface.
Yongzheng-nianzhi mark, but overall late Qing is more realistic. I so not think this is M&P, apart from the odd mouth I would also think it is late Qing.

Stan

Hi Peter, I found one similar on Christies past lots dating to the Qianlong period M/P, the top has a very similar top with holes, it is not exact but very close, one thing I noticed when you blow the picture up is that the bottom near the rim is perfect, the drip glaze stops perfectly at the bottom where a white undercoat is revealed, I think late Qing is good presumption, I guess they lost the technique, the ability to form a perfect bottom on these type of wares, also the mark is impressed, but the photo does create an optical illusion.

peterp

Quality in the three reigns period (Kangxi to Qianlong) was best. In the early period of the Jiaqing period it would still have been good, but started deteriorating. This was probably due to several reasons, but it most likely resulted in a loss of skilled kiln workers, and their experience.