Large Chinese republic vase

Started by Stan, Nov 04, 2015, 09:01:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, another auction find, I probably paid to much with a hole in the bottom but it really is nicely painted, it stands 46.2 cm tall and is all hand painted, the mark is in my book, it says" made at Jingdezhen, republic period, not sure when in the republic period the foot rim is very smooth to the touch, it is hand painted, it was a very cloudy day and so the colors did not come out to well, I hope it came out enough to tell age, thanks for your help.

Stan

Here are two more photo's to view, thanks again.

peterp

Hi Stan,
As far as I know the Jingdezhen mark was probably only used in the second half of the 20th century. If you have any proof to the contrary I would be interested.

The term "republic period" itself is ambiguous, depending on who is using it.
In mainland China (PRC) the republic ended with 1949 (the communist takeover). In Taiwan (ROC) it is still running. See bottom of http://www.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/chinese-calendar.html for the year.
I think that the mark was never used during the republic period, as used in China, but I am open to change my view if there is proof to the contrary.

Stan

Hi Peter, The Book On Marks on Chinese Ceramics, is the book Im using, it is Nicolas Chow, who is the International Head of Sotheby's Chinese Ceramics who helped to date the marks, other than that I do not have any proof other than it came from a well known estate that has been gradually auctioned off, this came from that estate along with several other items I purchased, some amazing Chinese antique were sold from this estate.

Stan

Sorry in the book the Republic period mentioned is 1912-1949.

peterp

It is possible. There apparently was a Jingzhen (Jingdezhen abbrev.) mark in the Qing dynasty, but I cannot find this one. However, there is a Chinese website which explains a number of marks from about this period.
It says that Jingdezhen-zhi zhuanshu style marks cannot be earlier than 1954 and not later the end of 1955. This seems to be talking about the original, systematic use. It also explains the occasional use of this mark from the 60s to 80s, but there is nothing about its use before 1949.

Stan

peterp

As you know, I am more specialized on earlier items. Regarding the mark I have only this single information. Although the whole document gives detailed information and years, and sounds credible, my position is that there should be at least another source..

Stan

Thanks Peter, your input is always helpful and educational.