japanese green glaze pot

Started by Stan, Oct 31, 2015, 07:06:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

I know this is Japanese and I think it is probably late Meiji, I think it is Awaji porcelain, Im not sure though it is unmarked, the size is 10.4 cm tall and 24.1 cm wide, the glaze has an iridescent look to it and a small crackle in the glaze, if it was Chinese I would say it is a brush pot so I am not sure what it would be used for,  any info would be appreciated, thanks.

peterp

You probably meant a brush washer, not a pot...but hardly that big.

Yes, you are probably right: tinyurl.com/oxqu5g4  that is the result for searching for Awaji ware, green.
Unless it is a fish pot I could not imagine what it is for. Japanese censers are hardly that size?

Stan

Thanks Peter, for the web site, and for correcting me on the brush washer, here in the West they seem to call it bush pots even at the auctions, I purchased this at a local auction, it came with 7 other pieces of unique green items, this is the first time that I have owned Awaji porcelain, This one has a high ring tone when clicked with my finger most of the others do not, at the auction house nobody was bidding so I won the collection for $80.00 it was sold as Japanese ware some are unmarked and some are marked, I could not find anything in my books, little is referenced to Awaji, and there is was no pictures in my books.