Small blue monochrome bottle vase. Ming?

Started by jinxesantiques, Mar 15, 2014, 07:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

jinxesantiques

Hi there. Just picked this up at a local thrift store. I immediately knew it was chinese, but I'm not sure of the age. I know monochrome pieces are difficult, but the paste does look rather porous and not dense. Could this be older than Qing? The red marks on the bottom are from the price written on it. Thank you

jinxesantiques

Here is a better pic of the true colour of the paste

peterp

I'm afraid I do not recognize this base and foot rim as being Qing or any earlier time. It is just strange. Also, was the glaze removed from the interior of the base and foot rim after firing?

jinxesantiques

Thank you Peter. Can you tell me the difference between the foot rim on my piece and these photos? This was the same type of vase that sold online for close to $400. I'm sure I'm missing something

jinxesantiques

Sorry, didnt mean to add the kangxi vases.

Stan

Hi Jinxesantiques, Peter is right, from ming to qing periods they were never that sloppy with the glaze, there would have been a very nice transition from where the blue meats the foot, it would never have looked like that, Im afraid you bought  a fake, hopefully you did not pay to much.

peterp

This said, I don't think that 400 is a high enough price to guarantee that it is very old. It could be a 20th century item, with such a price tag.

The pictures uploaded last  show a different  paste (unglazed clay), the consistency of the clay looks different. I have never seen one like yours, but I have seen some like that latter. But, I have doubts about that one too... I think I would need a hands on inspection to make sure that that one is antique.
With some monochrome items it is normal to leave the bottom unglazed, but as far as I remember the unglazed part usually includes the inner face of the foot rim. There is really no reason to glaze the inner side of the foot rim, if the bottom area itself remains unglazed, unless the item is placed on a firing support that leaves the foot rim free. But the glaze was ground off later.  That is the main reason why I remain suspicious of the other item. But with that item it looks as if the glaze 'might' have been got there unintentionally.
Grinding the foot rim occurs with monochromes when the glaze runs down to the very bottom of the foot rim, requiring that it is removed.
Now, yours looks as if the bottom was tampered with, which usually is a sign of faking. The inner side of the foot rim apparently was intentionally glazed, but the foot rim was not ground down. It is not normal that the foot rim looks this way. It is neither glazed, nor ground down, yet the glaze was completely removed in some places, and not by grinding. This is highly suspicious.

rb05cmdr

Good morning...
Instead of Chinese, this vase actually looks more like a Japanese Awaji Turquoise Blue glazed vase .

peterp

Thanks for letting us know of this type of porcelain. One learns something new all the time...
Some of the pictures shown on the web seem indeed to have the same type of foot rim.