Can you help me id the stamp or tell me the age of these two small plates?

Started by Hmm, Oct 18, 2015, 06:15:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Hmm

I'm not sure what these are, but I assume they are 19th century?

imgur.com/a/3vHeQ

Thanks.

LotsaStuff

These are two "Kitchen Qing" plates with lingzhi fungus and lotus in the center, probably Dehua kiln. (See crawling blue on right hand plate.) I think the punch marks are that of the plate owner, but am not very knowledgable, so hopefully someone else will speak up. Again, not sure of the age, but the base shot with pitting in the last photo looks similar to some late Qing pieces I own.

LotsaStuff

peterp

Quite right, the one on the right is very clearly Dehua; not sure about the left one though. Plates and dishes with this decoration have been made for some 200 years, or longer. Judging by the mark and foot rim they might be from the early 19th century.

Hmm

Thanks to both you for letting me know what I'm looking at.  Can you tell me how you knew it was a dehua plate versus jingdezhen? 

Thanks.

LotsaStuff

You are welcome. If you look at the plate to the right in your photo, you can see rivers of darker blue. The glaze looks like it is crawling and has a very distinct look. It can also appear to be sitting in piles. This is typical Dehua blue and white. I don't know much about marks, but read somewhere that the marks on the bottom of Kitchen Qing are often shop marks. I've quite a few of these types of plates, and the marks are all different.