Pair Japanse Imari Dishes

Started by kardinalisimo, Oct 16, 2015, 08:59:48

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Any help with the age?
Thanks

Mat

Maybe these are Chinese? The footrim does not look Japanese to me, and the enamels also. I could be wrong, of course...
Mat

peterp

Hi Mat,
But the blue decoration does not look Chinese, and the incision in the foot rim, along the glaze edge, is pointing to Japanese porcelain, in my view. But overall said, the decoration itself is not typical Japanese either.

Stan

I would think Japanese, the blue is correct for late Meiji and I have seen similar bottoms on Fukagawa, they were cast on sand.

kardinalisimo

Thanks for the replies. I find the bowls a bit heavy for their size. They are about 9 1/2" across the rim and about 2 pound and 8 ounces. I guess these were not firied in sand as I don't see any grits on the foot rims. I'll keep searching, maybe I can find a similar pattern.

Mat

Likely you are right and these are Japanese, however I think that they at least try to imitate earlier Chinese decorations. I post here a link to a Chinese export dish from the 18th century with a similar combination of underglaze blue and famille rose decoration. Of course that one is much finer than the examples shown here.
http://62.88.129.39/carlotta/web/object/32967