What is it? A Qing dynasty flower pot? Or something else?

Started by maureen, Oct 13, 2015, 22:25:16

Previous topic - Next topic

maureen

This ceramic vessel with a meandering lotus design was described as a flower pot from the 17th-19th century.  It has a 33.5 cm diameter and no identifying marks on the bottom.  It has a large hole in the bottom.

Is it a flower pot?  It looks very different than the ones I have found in books on Qing ceramics.  Even the shape, roundish with the everted rim, is different than the fishbowl or jardiniere types.  The hole seems too large and the decoration painted around the hole on the exterior would be hidden if it were flat on a table or plate.  Perhaps it is something else?  I am at a loss.

If you have any idea about the function or date of this pot, I would be grateful to hear it. I have looked in about two dozen books and have not been able to find anything similar.

Thanks for your help.

maureen

Stan

Hi Maureen, in all the pictures the color blue look different, which photo would say fits the right shade of blue?

peterp

I do not know what this is. Some Chinese flower pots do indeed have larger holes than they do elsewhere, but not THAT big. There are also some with tiny holes. To me this does not look like a typical flower pot. It is not clear from the pictures whether there is a (protruding) foot. If there is none, I would think that it is something else.

Teunis van Eijk

Hello there,

Could this be the lower part of a rummer vase. The other parts are missing.
In chinese a set is called a wugong (wujuzu). A picture is attached.

Regards,
Teunis van Eijk

maureen

Thanks so much, everyone!

Stan, the color is the more rich blue, like in the close-up image of the hole in the bottom.

And Teunis (if I may), I think you have solved the mystery!  It is probably just as you have guessed, the bottom part of a rummer vase.  That would explain the discoloration on the bottom of the hole, which does not go all the way inside the hole, which was probably from whatever fittings united the pieces.  The decoration also makes more sense in that orientation (the border around the hole is not visible when inverted).

Thank you all so much.  I finally have an answer to the mystery that has plagued me for weeks.

Best,
Maureen

Stan

The bottom picture looks like the blue color from the Qianlong period.