Age? Blue and White Sleeve Vase

Started by LotsaStuff, Oct 16, 2015, 06:46:06

Previous topic - Next topic

LotsaStuff

A kind friend gifted this vase, and we've been trying to figure out the age. A distant cousin vase is listed in the Marchant Catalogue of Imperial Chinese Porcelain 2013, pp. 20-21. My initial feeling was that this vase was new, but I'm not sure. The wear to the base is genuine, and the interior matches the wear on the base. I'm stumped. Any help or comments greatly appreciated. Thank you!

peterp

In recent times I have seen many vases with such a bottom. It looks suspicious, but I could not say I am sure that it is recent...
The base shows circular rings. With unglazed bottoms the rings are usually not visible or not so conspicuous. It looks as if they were impressions from metal throwing wheel, but in the old times the wheels were not made of metal. The other thing is that there are faint chatter marks. Chatter marks are from shaving the bottom after making it. They are common on plates and bowls, but vases?

Two problems I have no answer for, except that the item might be a more recent product, thrown on a modern wheel. And all such bottoms were on 'vases' with decorations from the early Qing dynasty. Quite unusual.

LotsaStuff