Daoguang Dragon vase

Started by Teunis van Eijk, Oct 12, 2015, 04:54:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis van Eijk

Hi,

I have been offered to buy a Daoguang vase with several Dragons.
Under the magnifying glass you can see that at certain spots the bubbles in the glaze become larger and dirt and bubbles collect at the places where they meet the paint. also there is some wear on the outside of the vase which for me is clear that it has been caused over the years. The vase is very large it measures 47 cm high and a diameter of 32 cm. I can not judge the vase by its weight since you do not feel the difference anymore with large vases. The asking price is quit high.

I hope that the pictures are good but I doubt that.

Peter can you speak wise words again on this item?

Best regards,
Teunis van Eijk

Teunis van Eijk

another two pictures

peterp

My first reaction to this is that it looks like something that the decoration and mark do not meet.
For example the colors of the pink and green dragon look as if they were from much later. The same is true for the decoration band at the top rim. The pink on bright blue ground is much too thick; this is often seen in post Qing items and later added enamels.
The color clouds and some elements look like a Guangxu cloud decoration.
No matter whether the vase body is really from the Daoguang period or no, it appears that some modifications or additions happened later. In many collectors eyes this will be of little collecting value.

Teunis van Eijk

Thanks Peter,

The pink at the top is what we spotted also. Much too thick. We will pass on this item since the price estimate is also too high.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Teunis van Eijk