Zun shape Lang Yao vase

Started by Teunis van Eijk, Oct 03, 2015, 02:25:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis van Eijk

Hi there,

I have a Zun shape Sang-de-boeuf (Lang Yao) vase with deer head.
It has a Qianlong mark. I am however afraid this is not a good piece since it has been stuck to the oven floor and has been chopped loose.

But I like to ask your opinion.

Best regards,
Teunis van Eijk

Stan

the mark on the bottom, is that the correct blue color, if it is it is 20th century on the later side I think.

peterp

I would try and see if the mark was added later. Its color is odd, too bright. Try scratching the blue color with a sharp object. If it is underglaze blue, then it will not be damaged. If it can be scratched, it is on the glaze and was probably added in more recent times. The mark, if genuine, would really make the whole item much later.
You could also try acetone (used also to remove fingernail polish), alcohol or another solvent, to try if the blue comes off. Again, if it does, then it is not original.

Teunis van Eijk

Hi there,

I tried with acetone and a sharp object but it does not come off.
Unther the magnifying glass (30 x and 60 x) you can clearly see that it in under the glaze.

The mark, if genuine, would really make the whole item much later you said. Dit you mean much earlier?

There are also crackles in the glaze. On the bottom you can see them with the nacked eye.
On the body you need the magnifying glass.

Regards,
Teunis

peterp

No, much later. There is no such blue tone with underglaze blue, in the Qing dynasty. And, the writing style of the characters looks not much like Qing either.