Pomegranate Millefleur vase.

Started by Teunis van Eijk, Sep 30, 2015, 02:06:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis van Eijk

Hello there,

I have this pomegranate millefleur vase with a yongzeng (1723-1735) mark on the bottom.
Funny thing is that it not only has flowers but also fruits like pomegranate, Peach and grapes.
I have read that in the yongzeng period they were able to make porcelain with several colors and that for each color they needed to rebake the artefact. After the Yongzeng period they lost that skill.

Guess this means that this one is from a recent period when they used modern ovens right? Or what is your verdict?

Best regards,
Teunis van Eijk

peterp

Was that made in the Yongzheng period? If I remember right the millefleur pattern started in the Qianlong period, but was only produced in larger numbers from the late Qing dynasty and republic period onwards.
I'm afraid the foot rim and bottom may make it a 20th century item. Always keep in mind that the foot rim is attached in a right angle to the base, resulting in a corner rather than a radius. This depends somewhat on the base diameter, though. Small items may get the corner filled with glaze, and it looks rounded.
All in all this is one of the best looking millefleur items I have ever seen, whatever the age. Actually, if it were not for the base and mark I would think it could be Qing.

Teunis van Eijk

Hello Peter,

Thanks again for your wise lesson.

The Mille Fleur decoration first appears in the late Yongzheng period and became extremely popular in the Qianlong period.

My wife and I just wanted to buy the vase regardless the age since we like the shape and the painting.
We also did not pay too much because we actually knew it could not be right.

Best regards,
Teunis van Eijk