Chinese doucai style vase.

Started by Stan, Sep 28, 2015, 02:39:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I would like to know more about this Doucai style vase, the white ground has a dull shine to it while the decoration has a high shine, I have never seen that before, I have Doucai style vases but the white ground is as shiny as the decoration, I believe that this is from the late Qing dynasty but I am not sure, this is one of the nicer ones that I have owned, it is heavy potted and all hand drawn and painted, the vase was hand turned  and has a under glaze blue Qianlong mark, your expertise is appreciated, I will send 14 pictures, the hight is 29.2 cm, thanks for viewing.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

Here is another set of photo's.

Stan

Last set of photo's to view, thanks.

peterp

Sorry, but I am out of my comfort zone here, Stan. Real antique doucai is rare and I have little experience with that. I have one cup, but I have doubts about it too. The only I can tell you is that a real antique one most likely 'must' be late Qing (probably very late) to be real. Or they are from the mid-Qing period or earlier, but then they would probably cost a five digit figure. The thickness of your vase points to at least late Qing. Doucai wares seem to be thinly potted most of the time if they are mid-Qing or earlier. I cannot tell from the pictures if it is antique. The colors look all right.
The older doucai items appear to be mostly small items, although I have seen a few vases in Chinese auction catalogs.

Stan

Thanks Peter, for your imput, the auction house said Qing dynasty but did not say early or late, there is very little age signs, some rust spots, not many and only small pitting in side the vase the out side does not appear to have any flaws other than rust spots, thanks again Peter.

peterp

To me it would be nice to get a genuine, confirmed doucai item, even if it were Guangxu. It is really difficult as they were never numerous. Mostly they look like new. As they were precious already earlier in the Ming and Qing dynasties, they were probably well cared for and may not show usage signs. That again makes it difficult to know if an item is new or late Qing if colors and glaze are right.

Stan

Thanks Peter, this came from a very prominent estate out of lake oswego one of the most expensive area's in Oregon and they have collected Asian art since the early 1900's, this is one of the items.