Identification needed

Started by Diver, Aug 17, 2015, 22:35:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Diver

I have item like this, I need all information about it,
the markings, what is this "cup" for, ect. I know that this is at least 300yrs old, found from the bottom of the ocean and there's more items like this...
If someone can tell me something, I will appreciate your help with this and also in future when I get there again. It needs special preparations and a lot of time to go there, but informations about this item can help to make decisions for the future.

peterp

The painting style looks European, and the mark is not a Far Eastern mark. Don't know what this should be for, but 300 years old? If you are indicating that this was 300 years in the sea? This could merit a study on whether European wares of that age could be porcelain, and if such ceramics would be in such a good shape after that long a time in the sea. Europe discovered the clay for real porcelain only in the late 18th century. Predecessors were all artificial concoctions of various substances.

Diver

Thank you for your answer.
I picked up this item from under one wreck. Wreck is from 17th century, not 18th because of building style, lap seals, no metal pieces ect.
It's absolutely impossible that this item is from other ship/wreck.
This has been on the bottom of the sea as long as the wreck.
We need to do more research with that wreck. If we find out more information, I'll let you know.

Stan

I think this could be Derby porcelain.