Chinese Xuantong vase with mark and period of Emperor Puyi?

Started by lauren, Aug 03, 2015, 15:24:15

Previous topic - Next topic

lauren

Lastly, I would appreciate any opinions or observations about this vase with the Xuantong mark.
Regards,
Lauren

peterp

I cannot comment on this vase. Shape is not a traditional one. Most items marked Xuantong are thought to be republic period.  Due to the internal turmoil of China in those years, there would hardly be any official kiln wares, like this mark would indicate.
As painting style was similar to that of the Guangxu period, one has to know what exactly was produced when. Production quantity was limited in this reign.

lauren

Hi Peter,
I appreciate you answer. This vase has very interesting provenance. I'm doing quite a bit of work on this one.  I'm very glad that this vase has the Xuantong mark vs. an earlier spurious mark.  This is why there could be some real potential here.  Please note, every porcelain item I have posted has come from an entirely different source.  The fine art collection I am performing due diligence on currently is from a private collector who spent 20 years collecting mostly from estate public auctions worldwide and some Ebay purchases.  This collector was very sharp and high net worth.  He capitalized on arbitrage opportunities when items were cataloged in error as a result of spelling errors, unknown signatures, etc.  Many paintings and rare prints in this collection have proven to be authentic and very valuable.  One painting he purchased at auction was Extremely valuable.  He purchased this painting for a few hundred dollars because the auction house could not decipher the signature.  I was brought in as a forensic expert on the graphic arts and oil paintings which is my area of expertise.  I am out of my depth with Chinese porcelain and really appreciate your great insight.  Regarding the Xuantong vase, I obtained the receipt for the purchase of the Xuantong vase which was purchased in a public estate auction near Chicago, Illinois.  I noticed the auction catalog only had this item described only as: "Oriental Vase" when it sold.  There were no details regarding the mark or era or even that it was Chinese.  Therefore, there were less people who found the auction as a result of poor descriptive key word marketing. Regarding a few more items in this porcelain collection, I will post 2  more that I am uncertain about in the coming days.  Then after that I will post 2 or 3 that are most likely not as problematic.  Thank you for your good advice I hope to engage in some private consulting as well looking forward. 
Regards,
Lauren