White Plain Porcelain Octagon Plate

Started by kardinalisimo, Mar 06, 2014, 12:13:45

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

All I can see is that the piece is old (not sure how old) but no clue if Chinese, Japanese, European or American. The foot rim somehow reminds me Chinese ones but I could be totally wrong. The shape is kind of unusual.
Any idea of the origin?
Thanks

peterp

Check if the foot rim is  slanted on the inside, straigth up on the outside. That is what the pictures seem to show. If that is so, not Chinese.

shelley Kong

Peter, what do you mean by slanted and straight up concerning the inside and outside of foot rims?
Thank you!

peterp

The surface is not perpendicular to the bottom.

kardinalisimo

Thanks Peter. The outside of the rim is straight, the inside is slightly oblique. Plus, the floral decoration on the rim gives me some French or British vibes.
I checked the foot rims of the few real Chinese plates that I have and they are all straight on the outside and slanted on the inside. Are there any exceptions or 100% of the antique foot rims are like that?

PS I have not forgotten the rule for the newbies not to mess around with monochrome pieces but I can sacrifice the dollar that I paid.

peterp

With Chinese plates the rim should be slanted either both inside and outside, or on the outside. If it is slanted on the inside but straight up on the outside, then something is wrong...