Horse

Started by laryzue, Jul 17, 2015, 08:07:10

Previous topic - Next topic

laryzue

The horse is a free standing 18.5? high, 26? long from head to tail and 9? wide on the back side.  It?s cobalt blue, light blue and turquoise, the pattern is a floral scroll, the starting point of the brush strokes on the lighter colors can be determined and the turquoise color on the hoofs, mane and tail area seems to have a crackle effect.  The horse has two holes one by the ear and the other on the top of the tail. I have looked through various types of bronze horse statues of the era and the only horse that is similar is shape and style is the Chinese War Horse, those from the Han Dynasty and Tang Dynasty.  The horse has many Chinese characteristic; but, its marked Italy. I am also aware that in 1920 under Benito_Mussolin all art that was not marked, had to be marked Italy before leaving Italy.  What is really throwing me off is the holes, the hand painted floral scroll, the brownish clay and its similarities to the Chinese Horses.  The horse was identified as a Bitossi by various vintage dealers, it was denied as being such by BITOSSI CERAMICHE Factory in Italy.  The horse is not a Bitossi. 

peterp

It is not Chinese, and it is not antique...

laryzue

Thank You for your input.