Famille Rose Guangxu bottle vase

Started by Teunis van Eijk, Apr 29, 2015, 01:10:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis van Eijk

Good afternoon,

I have bought a Famille rose Guangxu vase and like to hear an expert opinion.
The glaze show various sizes of bubbles and lots of dirt inclusions. The period is 1875-1908 and I guess this is a genuine piece. Can you judge this piece please? I have enclosed some pictures.

Best regards,
Teunis

Stan

I am not an expert, but from what I do no, I would say this is a later period, possibly republic period.

peterp

Stan, I think this falls into the same category like your bats and clouds vase. Could also be Xuantong or early republic, if old.

The decoration exists, and it looks all good to me.  But, this is the type of item where pictures are insufficient. Sometimes, when the usage signs are good, it is still possible to be sure. However, in this case I would suggest to have someone do a hands-on inspection, allowing also to evaluate weight, etc. If the age signs or usage signs are genuine, this could be a good find. Try to get someone with more than average knowledge in Chinese ceramics to evaluate the actual item; or take it to one of the major auctions houses during inspection day. (If you do, I hope you can post the result here.)

Stan

Hi Peter, your right, this does fall under the same category as the bat vase I posted, if you notice the band around the wast is identical to the one I posted and the top decoration is like the later copies, if you look at the ones at Christies you will see that the bands are slightly deferent as the decoration at the top, I really studied it thoroughly and now I can recognize the early ones from the later, In my opinion this is a later copy, but by all means please let me know what you find out, thanks.

Teunis van Eijk

Hello guys,

I have sent some pictures to Christies for evaluation.
Will keep you posted on the outcome.

Regards,
Teunis

Teunis van Eijk

Hello guy's

I promised to keep you posted.

I asked both Bonhams and Christies about their opinion.

Bonhams said that it looks stylistically consistent (in terms of shape and enamelling) with later examples of the genre.

Christies however is willing to take it into their Auction in London.

I am going to buy a 9 peach vase and a pomegranate vase both 19/20 century. Its a gamble but I will take it.

Once deal has been done I will show you the pictures.

Best regards,
Teunis

Stan

Thanks for keeping me up to date, I would love to see something like this sell, it will give me hope for the one I have.

Teunis van Eijk

Hello Stan,

I will keep you guys updated.

Is there anyway we could get in touch without showing our contact details to the whole world?

Regards,
Teunis

Teunis van Eijk

Good day,

At Christies in Amsterdam they could not help me.
A chinese collector visited our house and he liked the vase very much but according to him it was not from the period. Based on the expertise of you guys and a few others I took it for granted that it was a later copy and I sold it.

Regards,
Teunis

Stan

Hi Teunis van Eijk, if Peter wants to give you my email, that is fine with me.