Help with blue and white Meiping vase

Started by agritty, Jul 06, 2015, 02:40:17

Previous topic - Next topic

agritty

Hello - this blue and white Chinese vase has been in my family for over 100 years, and recently came to me - one of my relatives collected Chinese art, especially ceramics. I am trying to learn more about it - age, location it was made, etc. It is about 8 inches high. Any help and/or tips on where to do more research are most appreciated. I have two other pieces I am trying to research as well, and will post soon! Many thanks.

agritty

peterp

The bottom does not look like those of traditional Chinese porcelain. It is something between what Chinese call a "Yu-bi" bottom and a "Yu-huan" bottom. Yu-bi is the shape of a jade disk with a hole in the center, while Yu-huan is a jade ring. However, the hole in the center is at least double what it would be normally. In addition, I would expect a narrow foot rim on such a vase.
I'm afraid, this and the whiteness of the glaze make it look more like something made in the 20th century (not sure when though), while the decoration itself is copying much earlier ones. But I doubt that it is Qing dynasty.
I would be glad to hear from anyone who has proof that a bottom with such proportions existed on any Qing dynasty porcelains.

peterp

If you have an opportunity to have someone do a hands-on inspection, that might be more accurate. With items like this the weight and bubbles may provide additional hints.

agritty

Thanks very much - I will try and find an expert to examine all the pieces. I do not know exactly when they were purchased, but I do know it was sometime in the late 19th century. Could you please say a bit about the weight? Does heavier infer earlier or later? There are some tiny bubbles, contractions, and iron spots throughout. Many thanks.