3 blue and white plates underglazed marked Xianfeng emperor

Started by Thefinder, Jul 03, 2015, 11:48:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Thefinder

3 plates marked with Xianfeng emperor period. I want to know if its real or not, cause there's many rust spots on it, a little less like the fish bowl planter I posted before.

Stan

There are certain things you learn from experience as Peter mentioned before about the rust spots they can be faked, so you need to look at the whole piece, for example the mark, if it was Imperial the mark would be centered on the bottom, when it is off center like on these that is a good example of a spurious mark also a later copy, from Qing to early republic and I believe republic periods the marks would have been centered but these plates are from a later period, as peter mentioned on the fish bowl the decoration on these plates are printed as well, I suggest that you study more books and learn how to tell when something is printed and what to look for when something is hand painted, hand painting you can see where the brush started it is usually darker and then gets lighter at the end and you should be able to see brush strokes, when something is printed the lines are all the same color from start to finish and the patterns are usually the same everywhere it was used, there is a lot of other things to look at to like the high gloss on the glaze, these plates are not that old, 2 decades at the most just like the fish bowl, this is how to learn what you are doing buying items like these.