Blue and white lidded jar

Started by Stan, Jun 30, 2015, 12:25:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, can you tell me if this is a Chinese export with Islamic motifs, this appears to be very old and has all the right age signs, it is all hand drawn with blue oxide under a white slightly bluish ground, on the bottom is a under glazed blue artemisia leaf, could you tell me if this is 18th century it is heavy potted and was made in three sections, this has large bubbles in the glaze when examined under a 10 X loop also the unglazed foot rim feels rough to the touch, not smooth and it is 22.8 cm to the top of the lid, any information would be great, I will post 12 photo's to view, thanks again for all your help.

Stan

Here is more photo's to view.

Stan

Last set of photo's to view, thanks for your expertise.

peterp

There is no Islamic motif, as far as I can see. The type of decoration you probably think of has a different type of flower (petals). This decoration is common, but the leaves, for example, don't look much the way they usually look on Chinese porcelain, and the details are quite big for a jar of this size.
Looks all old, but if it is a ginger jar, then neck and shoulder should be without glaze unless it is Shunzhi. I do not know when the  leaf mark was first used, but the mark is best known for Kangxi.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I showed it to a guy that was telling me that he thought it was an Islamic motif thanks for setting the record straight.

peterp

Many Chinese porcelain decorations may have been influenced by designs made for export to the Middle East. But I doubt that there were that many in the Qing dynasty. The plate on page 26 of the e-book, top left, may be an example; especially the part of the decoration between the star-shaped flowers.