Authenticating a Tang Dinasty Sancai Tri-Color Porcelain Horse

Started by Canaanalb, Jun 24, 2015, 04:18:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Canaanalb

I acquired this Tang style horse at auction. In a well attended event of a prominent collector, no one wanted it.  I won it for a few dollars, assuming it was a repro.  It is fun to display, but could it possibly be authentic?

I gave all of these tests a try and everything checked out accept for maybe the smell (I have no clue what the smell should be):  gotheborg.com/qa/tang.shtml

But the general design seems to be off, no? The black specks, the hole in the belly,  the white encrustation between the legs and the dark red-ish crust inside the animal... does this stuff check out?  What do you think?

Thank you for your opinion.

peterp

Tang Sancai is not in my field, but I tell you what I know.
Originally it was thought all Tang Sancai was burial ware, but in recent times this may have been overturned. However, figurines may still be burial.
There is hole in the bottom, normally. If it were closed, such an item might burst during firing.
I was told that if the tomb from which an items was excavated did not cave in, then the glaze would look like new. Many sancai glazes have crackling, but the crackles should be of the three-dimensional type. Normal crackles are only 2d. I cannot see any here.
An excavated item sometimes has a musty smell, but this depends on whether they were in contact with the soil, and the type of environment it was buried in. It may hardly have any smell sometimes.

I got the impression that the "brown" glaze should be more "yellow". Whatever, as Tang Sancai wares, especially figurines, are widely copied even officially for sale to tourists, there is a multitude of copies out there. I would use only reliable museum items for comparison.