Hundred dear vase

Started by amateur, Jun 14, 2015, 00:17:47

Previous topic - Next topic

amateur

Hello,

I have been following this forum recently and found it to be very educational. I bought a vase sometime ago and the dealer told me that it was of the Qianlong period. However, after reading the posts in this forum and other sources, I begin to have doubts. Here attached with this post are a few photos and hopefully I could obtain an opinion from this Forum as to whether the vase was only made decades ago or it is indeed a true antique of the 18th century.

Thanks and with best wishes,

NW 

peterp

Judging by the base it could be late Qing dynasty at the most. These pictures are insufficient to say more. I would need a hands-on inspection of the glaze to verify that. My personal view.

amateur

Thank you Peter for your qick reply. What you said is what I have been suspecting for some time. I hope it finally turns out to be late Qing or else I would be somewaht disappointed. On examining the vase I found the rocks are drawn in an interesting way in the sense that underglaze cobalt dots are noted to be present along most of the brush strokes. Please refer to the picture attached (although I know that the quality of the picture may not be good enough). Do you think this is diagnostic for dating purpose, or for further proving/disproving the authenticity of the vase? Regarding the glaze, I can tell you that it is smooth but uneven, as if there were ripples. Also, the vase is heavily potted. Is there anything that could be made out of the additional information?

With best wishes,

peterp

If the bottom or other white areas show a wave-like surface (uneven), then the likelihood of late Qing is higher. Otherwise it is difficult to tell more.

amateur

Thanks a lot Peter for your very useful information.

Best,