Turquoise blue vase with grisalle decoration

Started by Stan, Jun 15, 2015, 03:10:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, is this Grisalle decoration, there is areas that have brown and the birds beak is yellow  but everything else is blacks and shades of black, the vase has a hairline crack and age signs, I do not know if the vase is as old as the sticker label says but it looks old, could you tell me what you think on age and any info would be helpful, I will post 10 photo's for viewing, thanks for your help.

Stan

Stan

Last set of photo's, thanks for viewing, the size of the vase is 29.9 cm high.

peterp

I would think late Qing, judging by the bottom, interior etc.  But, I am not sure if that would be classified as grisaille. The grisaille items I have seen show some traits this one does not have.
For example, there are usually no filler colors. They are on white ground, often there is some gilt or blue too, especially with the armorial ones.
I cannot see with this one if the petals have a white fill, or if it is the white base glaze that is visible. However, the leaves have a black/gray wash as filler color. Grisaille would be line-based, rather like a drawing than a painting; that is, any filled areas would be made by fine black lines, as far as I know. As far as I have seen up to now grisaille is mainly used on export porcelain and some imperial wares, but not on other domestic Chinese porcelain.

The bird is a mynah, a very common bird in the south of China and Southeast Asia, but not the type you will find if you check Wikipedia. Rather this type: http://tinyurl.com/o3kn32j