Sang De Boeuf Lamp

Started by kardinalisimo, Jun 05, 2015, 12:47:27

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

As far as I know Chinese never made lamps so it has to be more recent. I just don't understand if that is a commercial product whey the rough base. And what's with the staining on the inside?
I like the finial.

peterp

Yes, the shape makes it look as if it was made specificially as a lamp, but possibly earlier in the 20th century. The bottom condition is due to the glaze running down in the heat of the kiln; it probably needed a bit of knocking to remove it.
Why should they have ground it even if the item was intended to be fit unto a socket?
(Even with today's products Chinese manufacturers often do not remove manufacturing traces or sharp edges; purely a quality matter.)

kardinalisimo

First I thought it was a vase because it was all mounted and I could not inspect it. But when I took it apart saw the small opening on the top. Most of the modern commercial products with glazes that tends to run are well controlled and with bases been taking care of. Which made me think this has to be older piece. But I thought Chinese never did lamps ( back then ) but vases that were turned into lamps by the West.
By the way, you are right that it won't make sense to make the base more presentable because it is covered but some of the chips are still visible even with the wooden stand on.