Small porcelain Guangxu bowl

Started by Stan, Jun 04, 2015, 03:06:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I picked this up at an antique store, your opinion is much appreciated, it is 18.4 cm wide and 3.8 cm high, the porcelain is very high quality and translucent when you shine a light through it,  also the enamels are very translucent, it is marked with an underglaze blue Guangxu mark, do you think that this is m/p?

Stan

Here is the last set of Photo's, thanks for your expertise. Stan.

peterp

Stan, I'm afraid I have no way of knowing if it this is of the period. I have seen plates with a color decoration on the underside like this, before. But, I have never found any reliable proof that this type of underside decoration did exist in the Guangxu reign. The decoration in the very center is usually found along the base of vases or jars, not on plates.
So yes, the plate looks as if it could be Guangxu, but I have no way to be sure.
Is the white glaze very white?

Stan

The white glaze looks really white but on the inside foot where the glaze is thicker it has a slight blue color to it, almost unnoticeable, there are no scratches on the plate, but I have bought many times early American plates that sat in China cabinets for ever and whole sets that were over 120 years that looked like they were hardly used, the fact that the plate is out of round and some subtle pitting on the bottom made me think possibly of the period, I have a lot of French porcelain and English porcelain that were hardly ever used, so it dose not surprise me to see something of this quality in excellent shape.

Stan

By the Way Peter, is this a plate or bowl, I always get confused with Chinese shallow bowls.

peterp

To me a Chinese plate has a flat interior with upward bent round rim, while a bowl usually has less of a flatt bottom area. But when the rim is high it is sometimes difficult to tell which it is. The top view has lead me to view it as a plate, but from the side, due to the hight rim, it could also be assumed to be a bowl.

Stan

Thanks Peter, as always you are more than helpful.